Between 1996 when I first started selling real estate, and today, the world has changed a lot. Technology has made us more capable, faster and smarter. My job description is the same, it’s how we practice the craft that it is different. What doesn’t change is that real estate is a people business. Like an insurance ad that claims to have seen a thing or two, I’ve learned a thing or two.

  1. Stocks and bonds can disappear, real estate goes up-and-down, but it’s always there. That’s why they call it R E A L estate.
  2. It is always about the client and their best interests. If you are good to them, their children will call you when they grow up.
  3. My opinion is just my opinion. Don’t get stuck on it or let it get in the way.
  4. Moving is hard, it is really hard, but it is life-changing. Agents should move often so that they don’t forget.
  5. An easy transaction is an oxymoron.
  6. Buyers have no idea of what they want, they haven’t done this before.
  7. Everyone wants ‘a deal’. Define what that means at the beginning, or everyone will wind up exhausted and disappointed.
  8. All clients need to be educated about the process. That is my job, not theirs. Don’t act like they are supposed to know.
  9. It’s not about the kitchen. We practice contract law all day, every day. Make friends with attorneys.
  10. Negotiation is a win/win. Everyone gets something they can live with or no one wins.
  11. Honesty not only is the best policy, it is the only policy. Honesty isn’t brutal or radical. It is simple clarity of what is.
  12. Your reputation follows you everywhere; it is your shadow.
  13. You can’t talk yourself out of your own actions.
  14. Embrace change. The alternative leaves you covered in dust.
  15. Watch yourself on video. You will get outside yourself, and see what others see.
  16. There is too much to know, but every little bit helps.
  17. Opinions are like socks. They need to be washed often and discarded when they have holes.
  18. Be kind, and remember that everyone is doing that best that they can with what they know, and what they think is right for them.
  19. There is no ‘the one’. Find one with 80% of what you want and work with it.
  20. Don’t complain about your problems. 80% of people don’t care, the other 20% are glad that they aren’t you.
  21. Learn which rules are meant to be broken and which ones will come back to bite you. Keep copious notes on everything. You and the iRS will be grateful.
  22. The older I get the more I realize how little I know. Education is winding path of discovery. Learn something every day.